Kleinman's theory of explanatory models is a set of questions care providers can ask during an assessment which provides insight into what is most important for the client in terms of their health, illness, and care. Try blending these questions into your discussion in an informal manner.
- What do you call your problem? What name do you give it?
- What do you think has caused it?
- Why did it start when it did?
- What does your sickness do to your body? How does it work inside you?
- How severe is it? Will it get better soon or take longer?
- What do you fear most about your sickness?
- What are the chief problems your sickness has caused for you (personally, family, work, etc.)?
- What kind of treatment do you think you should receive? What are the most important results you hope to receive from the treatment?
Download the Printable PDF